Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tailgate Ted Has A Blog (Look Out)


Cheers!  Welcome to Tailgate Ted's blog: “Grillin’ & Thrillin’”

What I hope to accomplish with this forum is to share with you my enthusiasm for chillin’, grillin’ & thrillin’. And, hopefully learn from others that share the same enthusiasm as I do.  I will post recipes, tailgating tips, menus, experiences, and whatever else that fits the theme of chillin’, grillin’, and thrillin’ as I define them.   I hope you will find it fun and somewhat insightful, but mostly fun.  I am open to suggestions and comments.  I wish this to be as interactive as possible.   But first, a little backstory.

How did I come to be “Tailgate” Ted and what makes me so qualified you may wonder.  Qualified?  Not necessarily sure I am.  But, how I got the nickname came about a long time ago now it seems.  Some years ago my best friend Dan Golden called me and told me about a Kansas City sports radio show promoting Original Juan, a local purveyor of gourmet salsas and sauces, and a weekly recipe contest using chosen Original Juan products and he strongly encouraged me to enter.  And so I did.  And I won.  So, I entered again the following week and I won again.  And then again.  And then again. 

Besides having your recipe published and distributed among the local sponsoring Price Chopper grocery stores, part of the weekly prize was coming into the radio station and discussing the winning recipe on the air.  After about the third time, I believe it was radio personality “Bulldog” Bob Fescoe that dubbed me “Tailgate” Ted during the broadcast and the name has stuck.  In fact, I did well enough on the air I continued to come back each week to discuss Original Juan products, recipes, sports, and tailgating for the remainder of the football season.    At the same time, I started getting paid by Original Juan to go to local sporting games to just tailgate and promote Original Juan products; Chiefs, Royals, Brigades (former arena football team), Jayhawks, and so on.  I really enjoy cooking and entertaining, especially tailgating style, and got a little coin for doing what I was already doing anyway!  It was a great gig.  And that’s my story.

Aside from being a quasi-professional tailgater, I bottle my own salsas and sauces, participated in and won team BBQ and chili competitions, and am also a hot wing aficionado.   In fact, myself and a couple of other wing “nuts” are on a quest to find and proclaim the greatest wing.  More to come on that later. 

So, pop a top, sit back and chill as we go on this little blogging adventure together. 

Talk to you soon,

Tailgate Ted 

No comments:

Post a Comment